COLLECTIVIST TYRANNY EXAMPLE 03
"Multiculturalism" promotes monoculturalism, often by force - thus is a form of tryanny
Such a case is Quebec, a province in Canada.
Trying to promote use of French, because much of Quebec had its origins as a French colony, government suppresses use of other languages.
It's oppression goes so far as to have functionaries hassling restaurants over posters with old sayings from movies.
In contrast, out west in Vancouver, you'll find:
- oriental restaurants with only enough English on the signs for delivery drivers to identify the business
- shops catering to immigrants from northwest India, with only enough English on the signs for delivery drivers to identify the business, in an area the city labelled Punjab Market.
(Around the corner are Indian-originned restaurants and dress shops with much English, obviously catering to different people.)
- a Russian shop
- the "Manitoba Farmer's Deli"
- a Japanese cultural centre in the steveston corner of Richmond
- Chinese-oriented buildings in Vancouver.
- newspapers in various languages, including Russian and Punjabi.
Vancouver has had a mix of cultural origins for more than a century, with Chinese and Japanese especially notable. Hasn't bothered most people.
Strangely, the city of Montreal in Quebec has many immigrants from around the world.
© Keith Sketchley
Keith's Philosophy home page